Friday, November 14, 2008

The Windy City

So, I'm off to Chicago on Tuesday for the rest of the week. No, I'm not looking forward to it and no, I really don't want to go. But it's a college accreditation thing and I'm the lucky faculty member with the short straw. Administrators are the other attendees, so that can tell you the level of fun I'll be having. My family and my students are both wanting me to stay home. My students become so attached to me that if I'm not there, they tend to panic. And my family, well, that goes without saying. As Missy said one day, in response to our discussion of the event, "Oh great, we're going to starve. All Dad fixes is fish sticks and goulash." That about sums up the feelings at my house! Amy's favorite foods are fish sticks, tater tots, and macaroni and cheese, so she'll be okay. Rob can handle that. Thanks to Mom and Dad for staying home and carrying for my family next week while Rob's in class, instead of going to Terry's retirement party. That's how it is, Terry. Sorry.

3 comments:

Traci said...

Have fun in Chicago. Or at least as much as you can. I've been to Chicago a few times and there is still more stuff I would like to go back and see.
I am considering going to a conference there next year. Last year the conference was in London. The following year (when I am almost sure to go) it will probably be here in Philly.

celeste'sblog said...

I love Chicago! I've only been there once, but I had loads of fun. Although, I am partial of the big city life, while others are not. Perhaps that's why I live where I live, and you live where you live. Don't worry about G & G not being there for dad. He'll be ok. He's most disappointed about his only daughter not being there...Just joking. Can you believe he's retiring? Whew! Have fun in Chicago!!!

tammy 2-2 said...

Celeste, I was your age (well, 25) when grandma retired, so I know how it feels. Weird when you parents retire, but really weird when your BROTHER retires. I only have 14 years (or a few less) before I will. Yippee! I'll try to have fun in Chicago with the bigwigs.